5 Scary Ways in which self-isolation affects mental healthShaheera Shahid
Undoubtedly, man is a social animal, so researchers have found scary ways in which self-isolation affects mental health. Though, self-isolation became necessary for everyone during Covid-19, but several of you still crave it. Nowadays, individuals spend hours watching reels on their phones, have Netflix as their dinner partner, and rarely socialize.
So, let’s first dive into what “self-isolation” is.
What is Self-Isolation?
Self-isolation is when an individual voluntarily separates oneself from other human beings. Therefore, the alarming situation is that humans nowadays are unaware that they are involuntarily isolated because they are busy scrolling social media, working, or watching Netflix. Thus, self-isolation is unhealthy and eventually impacts your mental health.
Now, let’s move on to how self-isolation affects mental health!
- Increased feelings of loneliness: Social connection is significant to survival, and staying alone can lead to increased loneliness. Having no or limited social interaction can lead to developing suicidal thoughts, ultimately ending in a suicide attempt. Mother Teresa says The most terrible poverty is loneliness and the feeling of being unloved.
- Promote unhealthy sleeping patterns: Self-isolation can destroy sleeping patterns, and you’ll sleep all day or suffer insomnia. Irregular sleep patterns worsen your mental health leading to mood disorders and impaired cognitive function.
- Heightened stress and anxiety levels: Self-isolated individuals develop feelings of stress and anxiety. However, the reasons can be cluelessness about the future, concerns regarding health, and inability to accomplish goals.
- Impact on mood and regulation of emotions: Practicing self-isolation affects your mental health negatively, impacting your mood and regulation of emotions. Eventually, you get bored using your mobile, feel frustrated and irritated, and experience mood swings.
- Less access to support and motivation: Humans need support from their friends and family 24/7, and getting motivation from them can help them fulfill their dreams. But a self-isolated individual is away from their near ones, ultimately having less access to support and motivation.
Stop self-isolating to prevent your mental health from damaging.
|Home Page||Click Here|